Google Scholar / Social Media
Name : Dr. Virendra Gajbhiye
Designation : Scientist – D
Brief Background :
Dr. Virendra Gajbhiye has been working in the field of nanomedicine forthe last 15 years. He did his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Pharmacy. He has a doctoral degree (Ph.D.) in Pharmaceutical Science. He gained postdoctoral research experience at Wisconsin Institute for Discovery, Dept. of Biomedical Engineering, University of Wisconsin, Madison (WI, USA) and Dept. of Biomedical Engineering, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland (OR, USA).
Since December 2013, he is working as a Scientist in Nanomedicine at Agharkar Research Institute, Pune, India. He has worked extensively with polymeric nanoparticles specially dendrimers and mesoporous silica nanoparticles. Currently, his research interests lie primarily in the development of nanotechnology-based gene therapy for the treatment of various cancers and cardiac repair as well as regeneration using Nucleic acid therapy.
Contact Details :
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (2004) fromRajiv Gandhi Technical University, Bhopal (MP) Pharmacy
- Master of Pharmacy(2007; Honors) from Dr. H. S. Gour Central University, Sagar (MP)
- Ph. D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences (2011) from Dr. H. S. Gour Central University, Sagar(MP)
- Postdoctoral Research Associate(2012) Wisconsin Institute for Discovery, Dept. of Biomedical Engineering, University of Wisconsin, Madison (WI, USA)
- Postdoctoral Research Associate(2013) Dept. of Biomedical Engineering, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland (OR, USA)
Nanomedicine, Targeted drug/siRNA/miRNA/SSO delivery, Nano-immunosensors, Tissue engineering, Regenerative nanomedicine, Biomedical application of dendrimers & mesoporous silica nanoparticles, Biomaterials, Unimolecular micelles and imaging, Multifunctional polymeric nanoparticles, Nanotheranostics, Nucleic acid therapy, Gene therapy
· Erlotinib-loaded carboxymethyltemarind gum semi-interpenetrating nanocomposites. H Bera, YF Abbasi, LL Ping, D Marbaniang, B Mazumder, P Kumar, PrajaktaTambe, Virendra Gajbhiye, DongmeiCun, Mingshi Yang. Carbohydrate Polymers 230, 115664, 2020. Impact Factor: 7.182
· Carboxymethyl fenugreek galactomannan-g-poly (N-isopropylacrylamide-co-N, N′-methylene-bis-acrylamide)-clay based pH/temperature-responsive nanocomposites as drug-carriers. H Bera, YF Abbasi, V Gajbhiye, KF Liew, P Kumar, P Tambe, AK Azad, DongmeiCun, Mingshi Yang. Materials Science and Engineering: C 110, 110628, 2020. Impact Factor: 5.88
· Non-nuke HIV-1 inhibitor shuttled by mesoporous silica nanoparticles effectively slows down HIV-1 replication in infected human cells. LF Abadi, P Kumar, V Gajbhiye, KM Paknikar, S Kulkarni. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 194, 111227, 2020. Impact Factor: 4.389
· PEGylated nanocarriers: A promising tool for targeted delivery to the brain. KR Gajbhiye, APawar, KR Mahadik, V Gajbhiye. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 187, 110770, 2020. Impact Factor: 4.389
· Stimuli-responsive biodegradable polyurethane nano-constructs as a potential triggered drug delivery vehicle for cancer therapy. KR Gajbhiye, BP Chaudhari, VB Pokharkar, APawar, V Gajbhiye. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 588, 119781, 2020. Impact Factor: 4.8
· miRNA transfection via poly (amidoamine)-based delivery vector prevents hypoxia/reperfusion-induced cardiomyocyte apoptosis. N Sayed, P Tambe, P Kumar, S Jadhav, KM Paknikar, V Gajbhiye. Nanomedicine 15 (2), 163-181, 2020. Impact Factor: 4.1
· Smart triblock dendritic unimolecular micelles as pioneering nanomaterials: Advancement pertaining to architecture and biomedical applications. P Tambe, P Kumar, KM Paknikar, V Gajbhiye. Journal of Controlled Release, 299, 64-89, 2019. Impact Factor: 7.877
· cRGD functionalised nanocarriers for targeted delivery of bioactives. KR Gajbhiye, V Gajbhiye, IA Siddiqui, JM Gajbhiye. Journal of Drug Targeting, 27, 111-124, 2019. Impact Factor: 3.408
· Mesoporous silica nanoparticles as cutting-edge theranostics: Advancement from merely a carrier to tailor-made smart delivery platform. P Kumar, P Tambe, KM Paknikar, V Gajbhiye. Journal of Controlled Release, 287, 35-57, 2018. Impact Factor: 7.877
· Decapeptide functionalized targeted mesoporous silica nanoparticles with doxorubicin exhibit enhanced apoptotic effect in breast and prostate cancer cells. International Journal of Nanomedicine, 13 7669-7680, 2018. Impact Factor: 4.370
· Applications of cobalt ferrite nanoparticles in biomedical nanotechnology. SY Srinivasan, KM Paknikar, D Bodas, V Gajbhiye. Nanomedicine, 13, 1221–1238, 2018. Impact Factor: 5.005
· A robust pH-sensitive unimolecular dendritic nanocarrier that enables targeted anti-cancer drug delivery via GLUT transporters. P Kumar, KM Paknikar, V Gajbhiye. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 171, 437-444. 2018. Impact Factor: 3.997
· Nanocarriers-mediated siRNA delivery for treatment of cancer. Journal of Pharmaceutics & Drug Delivery Research, 7, 2018, DOI : 10.4172/2325-9604-C2-029.
· Magneto‐Conducting Core/Shell Nanoparticles for Biomedical Applications. SY Srinivasan, KM Paknikar, V Gajbhiye, D Bodas. ChemNanoMat 4 (2), 151-164, 2018. Impact Factor: 3.173
· Triptorelin tethered multifunctional PAMAM-histidine-PEG nanoconstructs enable specific targeting and efficient gene silencing in LHRH overexpressing cancer cells. P Tambe, P Kumar, YA Karpe, KM Paknikar, V Gajbhiye. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 9, 35562-35573, 2017. Impact Factor: 8.758
· Ascorbic acid tethered polymeric nanoparticles enable efficient brain delivery of galantamine: An in vitro-in vivo study. Gajbhiye KR, Gajbhiye V, Siddiqui IA, Pilla S, Soni V. Scientific Reports 7, Article number: 11086, 2017 Impact Factor: 4.122
· Folate/N-acetyl glucosamine conjugated mesoporous silica nanoparticles for targeting breast cancer cells: A comparative study. P Kumar, P Tambe, KM Paknikar, V Gajbhiye. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2017, 156, 203. Impact Factor: 3.997
· Ligand anchored poly (propyleneimine) dendrimers for brain targeting: Comparative in vitro and in vivo assessment. HK Patel, V Gajbhiye, P Kesharwani, NK Jain, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2016 482, 142. Impact Factor: 5.091
· Transferrin functionalized chitosan-PEG nanoparticles for targeted delivery of paclitaxel to cancer cells. M Nag, V Gajbhiye, P Kesharwani, NK Jain. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2016 148, 363-370 Impact Factor: 3.997
· Drug targeting to arthritic region via folic acid appended surface-engineered multi-walled carbon nanotubes. J Kayat, NK Mehra, V Gajbhiye, NK Jain. Journal of Drug Targeting, 2016, 24, 318-327 Impact Factor: 3.408
· Targeted brain delivery of bioactive molecules using nanocarriers. KR Gajbhiye, V Gajbhiye, V Soni. Journal of Bioequivalence & Bioavailability, 2015, 7, 112.
· Synthesis and characterization of dendro-PLGA nanoconjugate for protein stabilization. A Tiwari, P Kesharwani, V Gajbhiye, NK Jain. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2015, 134, 279-286. Impact Factor: 3.997
· siRNA Mediated Gene Silencing: Hurdles, Strategies and Applications. P Tambe, P Kumar, V Gajbhiye, K M Paknikar. Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology, 2015, 3, 322-333.
· Drug-loaded nanoparticles induce gene expressionin human pluripotent stem cell derivatives. Virendra Gajbhiye,Leah Escalante, Guojun Chen, Alex Laperle, Qifeng Zheng, Benjamin Steyer, Shaoqin Gong, KrishanuSaha. Nanoscale, 2014, 6, 521. Impact Factor: 7.233
· Synthesis, characterization and targeting potential of zidovudine loaded sialic acid conjugated-mannosylatedpoly(propyleneimine) dendrimers. Virendra Gajbhiye, J Barve, N Ganesh, N. K. Jain. Euro J PharmSci48 (4-5), 668-679, 2013.Impact Factor: 3.466
· Improved anticancerous activity of Indian aloe loaded chitosan microsphers. Int J Pharm Archive. 2013, 2, 71-76.
· Lectin functionalized nanocarrier for gene delivery. Virendra Gajbhiye, Shaoqin Gong. Biotechnology Advances. 31 (5), 552-562, 2013. Impact Factor: 11.452
· Synthesis, characterization and brain targeting potential of paclitaxel loaded thiamine-PPI nanoconjugates. Satish Patel, Virendra Gajbhiye, N K Jain. Journal of Drug Targeting 2012, 20, 841-849. Impact Factor: 3.408
· Enhanced hepatoprotective activity of piperine loaded chitosan microspheres.PSahu, A Bhatt, A Chaurasia, Virendra Gajbhiye. Int J Drug Develop Res. 2012, 4, 259-262.
· Fabrication and evaluation of curcumin microsphere using chitosan as biodegradable polymer. P Sahu, AChaurasia, Virendra Gajbhiye. IntPharmaceuticaSciencia. 2012, 2.
· The Treatment of Glioblastoma Xenografts by Surfactant Conjugated Dendritic Nanoconjugates. Virendra Gajbhiye, N. K. Jain. Biomaterials. 32, 2011, 6213-6225. Impact Factor: 8.806
· A review nanocarriers for the delivery of small interfering RNA. Prashant Kesharwani, Virendra Gajbhiye, N. K. Jain. Biomaterials. 33, 2011. 7138-7150. Impact Factor: 8.806
· Cancer targeting potential of some ligand-anchored poly(propylene imine) dendrimers: a comparison. Prashant Kesarwani, Rakesh K. Tekade, Virendra Gajbhiye, Keerti Jain, Narendra K Jain. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine. 2011, 7, 295-304. ISSN No. 1549-9634 Impact Factor: 6.500
· Lactoferrin conjugated dendritic nanoconstructs for lung targeting of methotrexate. Balak D. Kurmi, Virendra Gajbhiye, JitendraKayat, N. K. Jain. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 2011, 100, 2311-2320, ISSN No. 1520-6017. Impact Factor: 3.075
· Evaluation of dendrimer safety and efficacy through cell line studies. PrashantKesharwani, Virendra Gajbhiye, Rakesh K. Tekade, Narendra K. Jain. Current Drug Target 2011, 12, 1478-14997, ISSN No. 1389-4501. Impact Factor: 3.112
· Novel Carriers for Controlled Site Specific Delivery of Anti-Inflammatory Agents. Virendra Gajbhiye, N. K. Jain. Anti-Inflammatory & Anti-Allergy Agents in Medicinal Chemistry 2011, 10, 166-179, ISSN No. 1871-5230.
· Pulmonary toxicity by carbon nanotubes: A systematic report. JitendraKayat, Virendra Gajbhiye, Rakesh Tekade, N. K. Jain. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine 7, 2011, 40-49. ISSN No. 1549-9634 Impact Factor: 6.500
· Carrier mediated protein and peptide stabilization. AmitTiwari, Rajeev Sharma, Virendra Gajbhiye, N. K. Jain. Drug Delivery 17, 605-616, 2010. ISSN No. 1071-7544 Impact Factor: 3.095
· Micro- and nano-carrier mediated lung targeting. Balak D. Kurmi, JitendraKayat, Virendra Gajbhiye, N. K. Jain. Expert Opinion in Drug Delivery 7, 2010, 781-794. ISSN No. 1742-5247 Impact Factor: 5.553
· Dendimer-Mediated Solubilization, Formulation Development and in Vitro–in Vivo Assessment of Piroxicam. Ram N. Prajapati, Rakesh K. Tekade, Umesh Gupta, Virendra Gajbhiye, and Narendra K. Jain. Molecular Pharmaceutics, 6, 940-950, 2009. ISSN No. 1543-8384 Impact Factor: 4.556
· Exploring dendrimer towards dual drug delivery: pH responsive simultaneous drug-release kinetics. Rakesh Kumar Tekade; TathagataDutta; Virendra Gajbhiye; Narendra Kumar Jain. Journal of Microencapsulation. 26, 287-296, 2009. ISSN No. 0265-2048 Impact Factor: 1.793
· Therapeutic Dendrimers: A Systematic Review. Virendra Gajbhiye, Vijayaraj K. Palanirajan, Rakesh K. Tekade and Narendra K. Jain. J. Pharmacy Pharmacol, 61, 989-1003, 2009. ISSN No. 0022-3573 Impact Factor: 2.309
· Enhanced oral bioavailability of griseofulvin via niosomes. P.S. Jadon, Virendra Gajbhiye, R. S. Jadon, K. R. Gajbhiye, N. Ganesh. AAPS PharmSciTech. 10, 2009, 1186-1192. ISSN No. 1530-9932 Impact Factor: 2.666
· Novel PEGylated Nanoparticulate Architectures for Sustained Delivery of H2 Receptor Antagonist. Virendra Gajbhiye, P. Vijayaraj Kumar, Rakesh Kumar Tekade, N.K. Jain. European Journal Medicinal Chemistry, 44, 1155-1166, 2009. ISSN No. 0223-5234 Impact Factor: 4.816
· Ligand Based Dendritic Systems for Tumor Targeting. Abhinav Agarwal, SurbhiSaraf, Abhay Asthana, Umesh Gupta, Virendra Gajbhiye, Narendra K. Jain. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 350, 3-13, 2008. ISSN No. 0378-5173 Impact Factor: 3.862
· PEGylated PPI Dendritic Architectures for Sustained Delivery of Anti-Inflammatory Agent. Virendra Gajbhiye, P. Vijayaraj Kumar, Ajay Sharma, N. K. Jain. Current Nanoscience, 4, 267-277, 2008. ISSN No. 1573-4137 Impact Factor: 1.306
· Dendrimer mediated transdermal & oral delivery of bioactives. V. Gajbhiye, P. Vijayarajkumar, A. Sharma, A. Agarwal, A. Asthana and N. K. Jain. Indian J Pharmaceutical Sciences, 70, 431-439, 2008. ISSN No. 0250-474X Impact Factor: 0.73
· Pharmaceutical & biomedical potential of PEGylated dendrimers. Virendra Gajbhiye, P. Vijayaraj Kumar, Rakesh Kumar Tekade and N. K. Jain. Current Pharmaceutical Design, 13, 425-439, 2007. ISSN No. 1381-6128 Impact Factor: 2.757
· Nanocarrier for delivery of an ensconced payload, method of its preparation and applications thereof. PCT/IB2017/056627.
· Title: Polymeric Nanoparticles as a Promising Tool for Anti-cancer Therapeutics
Paperback ISBN: 9780128169636
Publisher: Academic Press, Elsevier
· Title; Stimuli-Responsive Nanocarriers: Recent Advances in Tailor-Made Therapeutics
Publisher: Academic Press, Elsevier (In Press)
· Ophthalmic Products. Virendra Gajbhiye, N. K. Jain. Pharmaceutical Product Development. IInd Edition. 2011. ISBN No. 978-81-239-1963-8.
· Dendrimers in Targeting and Delivery of Drugs. P Kesharwani, MCIM Amin, N Giri, A Jain, V Gajbhiye. Nanotechnology-Based Approaches for Targeting and Delivery of Drugs and Genes. Ist Edition. 2017
· Ophthalmic Products. Virendra Gajbhiye, N. K. Jain. Pharmaceutical Product Development. IIIrd Edition. 2018.
· Current status and future challenges of various polymers as cancer therapeutics. Pramod Kumar, Kavita Gajbhiye, Kishore M. Paknikar, Virendra Gajbhiye. Polymeric Nanoparticles as a Promising Tool for Anti-cancer Therapeutics. 2019
· Poly (phospho ester), Poly (phosphazene) nanoparticles as promising tool for anticancer therapeutics. PrajaktaTambe, Nida Sayed, Kishore M. Paknikar, Virendra Gajbhiye. . Polymeric Nanoparticles as a Promising Tool for Anti-cancer Therapeutics. 2019
· Conjugated polymer nanoparticles as promising tool for anticancer therapeutics. Sumithra Y. Srinivasan, Kavita Gajbhiye, Kishore M. Paknikar, Virendra Gajbhiye. Polymeric Nanoparticles as a Promising Tool for Anti-cancer Therapeutics. 2019
Fellowships and Awards:
- INSPIRE Faculty Award- 2013 in Biomedical Sciences from Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India.
- Indian Govt. nominated candidate for Commonwealth Scholarship United Kingdom 2008.
- Selected for National Overseas Scholarship (MHRD, Govt. of India) 2008
- Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR)-Senior Research Fellowship
- University Grant Commission (UGC) -Junior and Senior Research Fellowship
- Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) from All India Council of Technical Education (2004-2006).
- Travel Grant from Department of Science & Technology (DST), Ministry of Science & Technology, New Delhi
- Travel Grant from Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science & Technology, New Delhi
- Travel Grant from Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR)
- Travel Grant from Indian National Science Academy (CCSTDS, Chennai)