Google Scholar / Social Media
Name : Dr. Prasad Padmkar Kulkarni
Designation : Scientist – F
Brief Background :
Dr. Prasad Kulkarni has received MSc and PhD in Chemistry from SP Pune University, Pune, India. He was postdoctoral fellow at the Department of Molecular Structure and Function, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada and Maternal-Fetal Physiology Group, Rowett Research Institute, Aberdeen, UK.
He was also British Council Visiting Fellow at Department of Chemistry University of Hull. Curently he is working at Bioprospecting Group, Agharkar Research Institute, Pune, India He is a member, Editorial Advisory Board of RSC “Metallomics”. He is also a Life member of Chemical Research Society of India and Member of Royal Society of Chemistry
Contact Details :
Ph. D.(Chemistry), University of Pune; M. Sc.(Inorganic) Department of Chemistry, University of Pune, B. Sc., Modern College of Arts Commerce and Science, University of Pune, (Chemistry, Botany, Zoology)
More than 15 years of research experience in Bioinorganic chemistry and analytical biochemistry specialized in chemistry and biochemistry of copper metabolism and copper related metabolic disorders, metal ions and oxidative stress in Alzheimer’s disease, iron deficiency anemia and anemia of inflammation. My team is working on understanding the role of transition metals especially Cu, Fe, Zn and Pt in neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease (AD).
I am interested in the interaction of the physiologically relevant metal ions with Aβ1-16 peptide to study the oxidation patterns and electrochemical behavior of metallated Aβ peptide. Our lab also studies the effect of a range of bioactive molecules on inhibition of toxic effects of Aβ peptide.
- N. S. Ghatpande, A. V. Misar, R. J. Waghole, S. H. Jadhav, P. P. Kulkarni. Tinospora cordifolia protects against inflammation associated anemia by modulating inflammatory cytokines and hepcidin expression in male Wistar rats. Scientific reports 9 (1), 1-11, 2019
- D. S. Yarramala, P. Prakash, D. S. Ranade, S. Doshi, P. P. Kulkarni, P. Bhaumik, C. P. Rao. Cytotoxicity of apo bovine α-lactalbumin complexed with La3+ on cancer cells supported by its high resolution crystal structure. Scientific Reports, 9, 1780-1791, 2019.
- A. C. Shaikh, M. E. Verma, R. D. Mule, S. Banerjee, P. P. Kulkarni*, N. T. Patil*. Ionic Pyridinium-Oxazole Dyads: Design, Synthesis, and their Application in Mitochondrial Imaging. Journal of Organic Chemistry, 84, 1766–1777, 2019.
- N. S. Ghatpande, P. P. Apte, S. S. Naik, P. P. Kulkarni*. Fruits and vegetables consumption and their association with the indicators of iron and inflammation status among adolescent girls. Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 38(3) 218-226, 2019.
- A. Santoro, G. Walke, B. Vileno, P. P. Kulkarni, L. Raibaut, P. Faller. Low catalytic activity of the Cu (ii)-binding motif (Xxx-Zzz-His; ATCUN) in reactive oxygen species production and inhibition by the Cu (i)-chelator BCS. Chemical Communications, 54, 11945-11948, 2018.
- N. A. Vyas, S. B. Singh, A. S. Kumbhar , D. S. Ranade, G. R. Walke, P. P. Kulkarni, V. Jani, U. B. Sonavane, R. R. Joshi, and S. Rapole. Acetylcholinesterase and Aβ Aggregation Inhibition by Heterometallic Ruthenium(II)–Platinum(II) Polypyridyl Complexes. Inorganic Chemistry, 57, 7524–7535, 2018.
- J. Haribabu, D.S. Ranade, N.S.P. Bhuvanesh, P.P. Kulkarni, R. Karvembu. Ru (II)-p-cymene Thiosemicarbazone Complexes as Inhibitors of Amyloid β (Aβ) Peptide Aggregation and Aβ‐Induced Cytotoxicity. ChemistrySelect, 2, 11638-11644, 2017.
- D.S. Ranade, B.V. Shravage, A.A. Kumbhar, U.B. Sonawane, V.P. Jani, R. Joshi, P. P. Kulkarni*. Thiosemicarbazone Moiety Assist in Interaction of Planar Aromatic Molecules with Amyloid Beta Peptide and Acetylcholinesterase. ChemistrySelect, 2, 3911-3916, 2017.
- G.R. Walke, D.S. Ranade, S.N. Ramteke, S. Rapole, C. Satriano, E. Rizzarelli, G. Tomaselli, G. T. Sfrazzetto, P. P. Kulkarni*. Fluorescent Copper Probe Inhibiting Aβ1–16-Copper (II)-Catalyzed Intracellular Reactive Oxygen Species Production. Inorganic Chemistry 56, 3729-3732, 2017.
33. K. Samanta, D. S. Ranade, A. Upadhyay, P. P. Kulkarni, and C. P. Rao A Bimodal, Cationic, and Water-Soluble Calixarene Conjugate: Design, Synthesis, Characterization, and Transfection of Red Fluorescent Protein Encoded Plasmid in Cancer Cells. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 9, 5109–5117, 2017.
- A. C. Shaikh, Ds. S. Ranade, P. R. Rajamohanan, P. P. Kulkarni, and N. T. Patil. Oxidative Intramolecular 1,2-Amino-oxygenation of Alkynes under Au(I)/Au(III)-Catalysis: Discovery of Pyridinium-Oxazole Dyadas Novel Ionic Fluorophore. Angewandte Chemie, 129, 775-779, 2016.
- N. S. Ghatpande, P. P. Apte, B. N. Joshi, S. S. Naik, D. S. Bodas, V. Sande, P. Uttarwar, P. P. Kulkarni*. Development of a novel smartphone-based application for accurate and sensitive on-field hemoglobin measurement. RSC Advances, 6, 104067-104072, 2016.
- N. A Vyas, S. N. Ramteke, A. S. Kumbhar, P. P. Kulkarni, V. Jani, U. B. Sonawane, R. R. Joshi, B. Joshi, A. Erxleben, Ruthenium (II) polypyridyl complexes with hydrophobic ancillary ligand as Aβ aggregation inhibitors. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 121, 793-802, 2016.
- G. R. Walke, D. S. Ranade, A. M. Bapat, R. Srikanth, P. P. Kulkarni*. Mn (III)‐Salen Protect Against Different ROS Species Generated by the Aβ16‐Cu Complex. ChemistrySelect, 1, 3497-3501, 2016.
- M. R. Hardikar, M. E. Varma, A. A. Kulkarni, P. P. Kulkarni, B. N. Joshi. Elucidation of hypoglycemic action and toxicity studies of insulin-like protein from Costusigneus. Phytochemistry, 124, 99-107, 2016.
- Y. P. Ginotra, S. N. Ramteke, G.R Walke, S. Rapole, P. P. Kulkarni*. Histidine availability is decisive in ROS-mediated cytotoxicity of copper complexes of Aβ1–16 peptide. Free radical research, 50, 405-413, 2016.
- L. B. Rane, A. N. Kate, S. N. Ramteke, B. V. Shravage, P. P. Kulkarni, A. A. Kumbhar. Fluorescent zinc (ii) complexes for gene delivery and simultaneous monitoring of protein expression. Dalton Transactions, 45, 16984-16996, 2016.
- B. Shravage, S. Ramteke, P. P. Kulkarni*, D. S. Bodas. A concave microwell array fabricated using the ommatidium of the common fruit fly for efficient cell culture. RSC Advances, 6, 64266-64270, 2016.
- N. S. Ghatpande, P. P. Apte, S. S. Naik, B. N. Joshi, M. K. Gokhale, P. P. Kulkarni*. Association of B12 deficiency and anemia synergistically increases the risk of high TNF-α levels among adolescent girls. Metallomics, 8, 734-738, 2016.
- D. S. Ranade, A. M. Bapat, S. N. Ramteke, B. N. Joshi, P. Roussel, A. Tomas, P. Deschamps, P. P. Kulkarni*. Thiosemicarbazone modification of 3-acetyl coumarin inhibits Aβ peptide aggregation and protect against Aβ-induced cytotoxicity. European journal of medicinal chemistry, 121, 803-809, 2015.
- A. C. Shaikh, D. S. Ranade, S. Thorat, A. Maity, P. P. Kulkarni, R. G. Gonnade, P. Munshi, N. T. Patil. Highly emissive organic solids with remarkably broad colortunability based on N, C-chelate, four-coordinate organoborons. Chemical Communications, 51, 16115-16118, 2015.
- S. N. Ramteke, G. R. Walke, B. N. Joshi, S. Rapole, P. P. Kulkarni*. Effects of oxidation on redox and cytotoxic properties of copper complex of Aβ1–16 peptide. Free radical research, 48, 1417-1425, 2014.
- G. R. Walke, S. Rapole, P. P. Kulkarni*. Cisplatin inhibits the formation of a reactive intermediate during copper-catalyzed oxidation of amyloid β peptide. Inorganic chemistry, 53,10003-10005, 2014.
- N. A. Vyas, S. S. Bhat, A. S. Kumbhar, U. B. Sonawane, V. Jani, R. R. Joshi, S. N. Ramteke, P. P. Kulkarni, B. Joshi. Ruthenium (II) polypyridyl complex as inhibitor of acetylcholinesterase and Aβ aggregation. European journal of medicinal chemistry, 75, 375-381, 2014.
- G. R. Dhage, S. R. Thopate, S. N. Ramteke, P. P. Kulkarni. One-pot synthesis and evaluation of novel 3-aryl-6-ethoxycarbonyl-4-hydroxy-2 H-pyran-2-one as a potent cytotoxic agent. RSC Advances, 4, 56870-56875, 2014.
- S. N. Ramteke, Y. P. Ginotra, G. R. Walke, B. N. Joshi, A. S. Kumbhar, S. Rapole, P. P. Kulkarni*. Effects of oxidation on copper-binding properties of Aβ1-16 peptide: A pulse radiolysis study. Free radical research, 47, 1046-1053, 2013.
- Y. P. Ginotra, S. N. Ramteke, R. Srikanth, P. P. Kulkarni*. Mass Spectral Studies Reveal the Structure of Aβ1–16–Cu2+ Complex Resembling ATCUN Motif. Inorganic chemistry, 51, 7960-7962, 2012.
- Y. P. Ginotra, P. P. Kulkarni*. Solution structure of physiological Cu (His) 2: novel considerations into imidazole coordination. Inorganic chemistry, 48, 7000-7002, 2009.
- S. Narindrasorasak, P. P. Kulkarni, P. Deschamps, Y. She, B. Sarkar.Characterization and copper binding properties of human COMMD1 (MURR1). Biochemistry, 46, 3116-3128, 2007.
- P. P. Kulkarni, Y. She, S. D. Smith, E. A. Roberts, B. Sarkar.Proteomics of Metal Transport and Metal‐Associated Diseases. Chemistry–A European Journal, 12, 2410-2422, 2006.
- P. Deschamps, P. P. Kulkarni, M. Gautam-Basak, B. Sarkar. The saga of copper (II)–l-histidine. Coordination chemistry reviews, 249, 895-909, 2005.
- Z. Afrasiabi, E. Sinn, P. P. Kulkarni, V. Ambike, S. Padhye, D. Deobagakar, M. Heron, C. Gabbutt, C. E. Anson, A. K. Powell. Synthesis and characterization of copper (II) complexes of 4-alkyl/aryl-1, 2-naphthoquinones thiosemicarbazones derivatives as potent DNA cleaving agents. Inorganica chimica acta, 358, 2023-2030, 2005.
- P. Deschamps, P. P. Kulkarni, B. Sarkar. X-ray structure of physiological copper (II)-bis (L-histidinato) complex. Inorganic chemistry, 43, 3338-3340, 2003.
- P. Deschamps, P. P. Kulkarni, B. Sarkar. The crystal structure of a novel copper (II) complex with asymmetric ligand derived from l-histidine. Inorganic chemistry, 42, 7366-7368, 2003.
- P. P. Kulkarni, S. Padhye, E. Sinn. Hemiprotonateddafone, a new cationic species. The novel di-dafonium iron (III) complex:[(dafone) 2 H]+[FeCl 4]−. Inorganic chemistry communications, 6, 1129-1132, 2003.
- P. P. Kulkarni, S. Padhye, E. Sinn, C. E. Anson, A. K. Powell. Comparative studies on copper (I) complexes: synthesis, X-ray crystallography and electrochemical properties of [Cu I (dafone) n X] complexes (dafone= 4, 5-diaza-fluoren-9-one, X= Br, I, SCN). Inorganica chimica acta, 332, 167-175, 2002.
- P. P. Kulkarni, S. Padhye, E. Sinn. Neutral metal complex in an ionic pocket: synthesis, physicochemical properties and X-ray structure of a copper (II) complex containing neutral as well as cationic dafone ligands and dafonium perchlorate. Inorganica chimica acta, 321, 193-199, 2001.
- S. Padhye, P. P. Kulkarni, C. E. Anson, A. K. Powell, E. Sinn. Crystal structures of new polymeric (4, 5-diaza-fluoren-9-one) Cu (I) complexes. POLYMER PREPRINTS-AMERICA, 43, 380-381, 2001.
- M. Gupta, R. K. Kale, P. P. Kulkarni, S. B. Padhye. Antioxidant and Prooxidant Effects of Metal Dafonates on the NADPH-Dependent Lipid Peroxidation in the Murine Hepatic Microsomal System. Metal Based Drugs, 6, 169-176, 1999.
- P. P. Kulkarni, S. Padhye, E. Sinn Communication:: The first well characterized Fe (phen) Cl3complex : structure of aquo mono(1,10-phenanthroline) iron (III) trichloride : [Fe (phen) Cl3 (H2O)]. Polyhedron, 17, 2623-2626, 1998.
- A. Kumbhar, P. P. Kulkarni, S. Padhye Cytotoxic properties of metal-quinone complexes: Role of redox cycling in the toxicities of iron (II) and iron (III) complexes of 2-and 5-hydroxy-1, 4-naphthoquinones to isolated rat hepatocytes. Journal of Chemical Sciences, 108, 315-315, 1996.
1. A. Kumbhar, S. Damle, P. P. Kulkarni, D. Srinivas, V. Chatur. Synthesis, characterization and nuclease activity of copper (II), nickel (II) and iron (II) complexes of 2-acetylpyridine oxime. Indian journal of chemistry. Sect. A: Inorganic, physical, theoretical & analytical, 35, 533-535, 1996.